Thursday, 24 April 2008

And BANG... the mail stopped.

And so Monday began with no e-mail coming from one of my Domino Application servers. I did the preliminary checks, nothing strange in the Mail Event Logs, nothing strange in the Misc Event Logs. Actually there was something strange about the Mail Event logs. Nothing was in them what-so-ever. No e-mails attempting to leave at all. So, I looked at the mail.box. Same thing. Empty.

After a quick check of the application nsfs, I discovered that the memo documents were being created, just not moving into the mail.box.

I did some compaction on the mail.box looking for corruption, but didn’t find any. I could trigger all sorts of e-mails, but they weren’t going anywhere.

Eventually, after a few hours of checking, we discovered that the server couldn’t resolve itself in the DNS. One quick edit to the hosts file later and we’re off to the races.

I’m not positive, but I’m thinking it had something to do with the DNS patch released from Micro$oft. I don’t remember it’s KB, but I’ll post it once I remember it.